Guidelines for Heller Shorts 2017 – The Dog 8 My Shorts!
NOTE – new this year:
- Plays will be accepted from throughout Oklahoma.
- This year’s extra incentive is that the playwright whose script is selected as “Shorts Idol” by a combination of audience and judge voting, will be commissioned to write a 30 minute play. This play will be produced in spring of 2018 alongside a script by HTC Playwright-In-Residence, David Blakely.
- The theme of the production is improbable excuses. Plays may be comic, dramatic or musical, but an outlandish excuse must be highlighted in the script.
- Scripts should not exceed 8 minutes in running time (approximately 6-10 pages, depending on the denseness of the language.)
- There should be no more than 5 characters in a script.
- Minimal sets, props and sound are preferred. Expect lights up/lights down.
- Scripts should be submitted in a standardized playwriting format, with numbered pages.
- Although the title of this year’s production is The Dog 8 My Shorts, please, NO live animals on stage.
- We love creativity, but please do not use the line “the dog ate my shorts” anywhere in your script!
- You may submit two scripts. Scripts should have the name of the play on every page, but NO author’s name anywhere on the script. A cover sheet listing script length, characters, setting, etc. is helpful.
- Playwrights will receive compensation for the use of their scripts. ($12 per performance for a total of $36. There will be a “pay-what-you-wish” night for which playwrights will receive additional payment depending on monies received. )
Submissions open March 1, 2017, and scripts in WORD or pdf format and will be accepted until midnight, April 30, 2017 (postmark date) at:
Heller Theatre Company – SHORTS
1956 Utica Square, #108
Tulsa, OK 74114
Notification of script selection will be made by approximately May 31, 2017.
Production dates are September 8, 9 & 10 at Nightingale Theater, with a “pay-what-you-wish” night on Sept. 7.
Auditions will be in July with actual date TBA.